The 20th edition of the Science Festival took place in Warsaw between 24.09.-2.10.2016. For this year’s edition Nencki researchers and PhD students prepared an interesting and rich program.
Under the YOUTH CLUB series high school students could attend lectures on biology, which greatly helped those students who are taking advanced biology for their high school exam:
22. Gene - the instructions for use dr Agata Klejman (26.09.; 16.00)
71. Evolution of nervous system dr Paweł Boguszewski (27.09.; 16.00)
128. Not all divisions are equal, how new cells are created dr Anna Bielak-Żmijewska (28.09.; 16.00)
178. Structure and function of proteins: from genome to proteome and beyond prof. Sławomir Pikuła (29.09.; 16.00)
The THEMATIC CLUBS offered a series of lecturers under the common title TO BE HEALTHY:
23. Alzheimer’s disease: a problem of the patient and the family- Prof. Urszula Wojda (26.09.; 16.00)
72. Why do we need genetically modified animals? dr Witold Konopka (27.09.; 16.00)
129. Longevity – solved problem or unachievable aim? dr Grażyna Mosieniak (28.09.; 16.00)
179. Toxic lipids or why obese people suffer from type 2 diabetes Prof. Agnieszka Dobrzyń (29.09.; 16.00)
Laboratory of Ethology and the Nencki PhD students invited people who were interested in the NIGHT OF THE BIOLOGIST (239) (30.09.; 17.00-22.00), during which guests watched the life of ants, got to know the phenomenon of fluorescence, learned how the neurons acts, constructed the brain model and learn about the functions of its structures. They took part in a game of inquiry "Finding" of the lost rat". There was also a plastic corner.
The Nencki PhD students also took part in THE SCIENTIFIC WEEKEND WITH OCHOTA CAMPUS, organized in cooperation with the Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw (Pasteur 7; h. 9.30-15.30). During the workshops The Scientific vertigo (264-267) participants in an plain way passed on the knowledge of the action of neurons and brain, as well as the phenomenon of fluorescence. The plastic corner gave an opportunity for an artistic presentation of the watched phenomena.
Everyone found something interesting, which allowed them to enrich their knowledge and have a good time.
The lectures and presentations were very popular. All the events were hosted by more than 1000 people.
Nencki’s contribution to the 17th Science Festival was coordinated and supervised by Anna Wasik.
Please go to: www.festiwalnauki.edu.pl for more information.